Friends Scholarship FAQ

How much does it cost to apply for a scholarship?

It does not cost anything to apply, except the time it takes to complete the application.


Do I have to be a resident of Solana Beach to apply for your scholarship?

You must reside or attend school in Solana Beach.


Does the scholarship have to be used for a four-year college or university?

No. It can be used for community college, a four-year college or university, or a vocational/career/technical program, or a graduate/professional program.


Do I have to be a high school senior to apply?

No. You can be a high school senior; a continuing student at a community college, a college or university, a graduate/professional school, or a technical/career/vocational school; or a re-entry student.


How will my application be evaluated?

Our Scholarship Committee will consider all of the information that you provide in your application packet.


Will I be interviewed during the application process?

No. We do not conduct interviews.


When will I be notified about the outcome of my application?

All applicants will be notified by June 1, 2017, whether or not they are awarded a scholarship. If you are awarded a scholarship, we will provide more details on your next steps at that time. Please note that we communicate primarily through email or by phone, so if you have ANY email address or phone number changes, please update us at


If I am selected as a recipient, how much will I receive?

The award for each scholarship is $1,000.


What will my scholarship pay for?

You may use the scholarship award to pay for tuition, room and board, books, fees, or other related educational expenses. This will be outlined in your award notification.


Will my scholarship check be sent directly to me?

No. Scholarship checks are mailed or delivered to the school you will be attending after you enroll, and the school will release funds to you.


Do I need to pay back my scholarship?

No, you do not need to pay back your scholarship unless you use it for purposes other than those allowed.